Calvary Baptist Church of Washington was established in 1955 to minister to the needs of the people of Washington and the surrounding communities.
Calvary Baptist Church was founded in the spring of 1955 by Rev. T. Fred Wolfe under the auspices of the Broad Street Baptist Church of Washington, PA. Rev. Wolfe acted as Pastor of the new church which was a branch of the Broad Street Church. The former Gabby School was purchased from the North Franklin Township School District for the church. The church grew steadily and many improvements were made in the building including new windows and a heating system.
A charter was applied for and presented to the Court of Common Pleas for approval on April 21, 1958. The Court approved the incorporation under the non-profit laws of Pennsylvania. There were 35 charter members. At that time the church affiliated with the Conservative Baptist Association. A call for a Pastor was issued and by unanimous vote, Rev. L. E. Rogers was chosen as the Pastor. He began his ministry in November 1958.
When Pastor Rogers resigned in 1959 to accept a position in Florida, Rev. Robert Franklin was called. During his ministry, a mortgage burning ceremony was held. At this time there were 50 members and five missionaries were supported by the congregation. Rev. Franklin was pastor until May 28, 1964.
having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord,
– Ephesians 2:20-21